Sunday, September 22, 2013

Read To Self

"Read to Self" is a time that happens each day. After our mini lesson in Reader's Workshop, the students go off with their book bags and practice their reading and the skills I have taught that day/week/unit. This gives me time to go around and conference with students to informally assess their understanding of skills and to provide one-to-one instruction.

To set up the routine during this time, we created this I chart together to highlight the expectations. We review it each day and most students know it by heart now!


We have been have building our reading stamina and try to read a little longer each day to help us become stronger readers. Tomorrow night, you will be able to see our Reading Stamina chart. Ask your little one how many minutes we have worked up to!

Our mini lessons this week revolved around different ways to read a book. During Read to Self, the students have been practicing these three different ways:


I keep meaning to snap some pictures of everyone reading, but I just get so wrapped up in reading conferences, I completely forget! I will try to get some next week and will be sure to post them for you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment