Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pumpkins, Firefighters, Reading..oh my!

Hi everyone!

What a busy week it has been for us here in Room 29!

Let's start with Reader's Workshop. The students have been working so hard to build their stamina for reading. During Reader's Workshop, we always follow the same routine: minilesson, reading time, share. During the mini lesson, we come together on the rug and I model or demonstrate a particular reading strategy. The students then go off to read either by themselves or with their assigned reading buddy to practice the strategy and of course, read! During this time, I sit and conference with students. This gives me the chance to learn more about them as a reader. After reading time, we come to the rug and students share out about how their reading went.

This week our mini lessons were centered on buddy reading. We talked about what buddy readers look like, and how two students can read a book together. They LOVE reading with a partner. I think they would do it all day if I let them! Here's a few of my super readers in action:











Next up, pumpkins! This week in science, we were studying pumpkins. Whenever we start a new unit or topic, I always like to start with a schema chart to get everyone's brains going! The students write down what they already know, and then we read nonfictions books to build on that schema. Here's our chart from this week:


We also discussed the life cycle of a pumpkin and learned some interesting facts about pumpkins. The students could not believe that blue pumpkins exist! There are also pumpkins so big that you can sit in them!



Last, but not least, because it was also Fire Safety week, we took some time to learn about firefighters and how to stay safe if there were ever a fire. We read a nonfiction book about firefighters, and created this chart together:


Please excuse my writing! When we do interactive charts, I'm so focused on what the kids are saying, I tend to write a little sideways. :) After our discussion, we used this chart to complete a little thinking map about firefighters. They students did such a great job. I just love how sweet their drawings turned out too.



 






 






During literacy centers, some students chose to write a letter to a firefighter when they were at the Work on Writing Center. We sure do appreciate all they do to keep us safe!






If you did not see your child's picture on today's post, I promise to get more pictures up this week. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I am off to take my three little cousins pumpkin picking. See you Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment